Welcome to project 365. This writer of ghost stories, mother of two, and wife to the Professor, aka "Ghost Hunk" (for 18 years), finds inspiration everyday, even if she sometimes forgets. So for the next year, I will document these little epiphanies, whether it's a bug on the windshield or some brilliant, breathless moment in this crazy life or something in between.

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Day 35


In honor of the Kentucky Derby, and my natural passion for all things equestrian, I have snapped a photo of one of my favorite little bits of fun, which hangs in my window.  I bought this ornament shortly after my story "Abe and the Magic Lantern" was accepted for publication in Cricket Magazine.  My article chronicles Eadweard Muybridge's motion studies and his subsequent creation of the zoopraxiscope, an early forerunner to the modern movie projector.  His initial subject was a horse named Abe Edginton.  When this little bauble turns in the light, the horse appears to gallop in place.  And yes, it's like the images in Rufus Butler Seder's "scanimation" book, which came out after I had written my article...(I was ahead of the curve on that one, even if my story didn't see print until afterward). *snaps fingers.

As for today's race, I had my (metaphorical) money on Nehro who came in second.  I also laid a sentimental bet on Pants On Fire who faded to ninth place.  True to form, our Albany TV affiliate dropped the feed and went to a commercial just as the horses were coming down the homestretch!  I missed the end of the race because some idiot hit the wrong switch!  Okay, who got fired today?  

No comments: